Re: IMPORTANT: Do live Debian images have a future?

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 03:47:13PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>On 26/06/2017, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

>> If our live images are going to be good enough to meet the standards
>> that Debian users deserve and expect, we need *consistent*,
>> *sustained* involvement from a lot more people. Please tell me if
>> you're going to help. If we don't see a radical improvement soon, I'll
>> simply disable building live images altogether to remove the false
>> promises they're making.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://get.debian.org/images/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/#issues
>
>One of the things at least to my mind is we (the users) do not know
>which is most closest testing release  near to the final release. For
>e.g.  take the last/latest announcement done by Cyril Brulebois on
>13th June talking about the Stretch RC5 release. In the whole
>announcement, there is not even a hint to potential testers that this
>might be the closest to the final released (gold) image. I am
>presuming/assuming that Cyril was also talking about the live image
>and not the just the installer improvements.

Actually, no. Cyril is the d-i release manager (and most active
developer), and that's what he's focussing on. The "Stretch d-i RC5"
announcements were specifically for d-i, not for Stretch as a whole.

The final *Stretch* release was under the control of the release
team, obviously with attendant discussion with the installer and
images people too.

>What would be nicer/better perhaps if debian-live does announcements
>on d-d-a  and more importantly hint as when it's going to be nearer to
>release (final image).

ACK. We need more effort to do this kind of thing, and volunteers to
help drive it.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane