Re: Multi-arch DVD installer

Hi,

Le 22/06/2017 à 02:56, Steve McIntyre a écrit :
Hi Luc,

Please ask this kind of question on the mailing lists...

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:02:36AM +0200, Luc Novales wrote:
Hi,
Debian 9 is now stable. Very good job !!

I'm used to download multi-arch DVD to install some computers 32 bits or 64
bits, downloading fewer packages during install.
Last image isn't present on server, only rc5 installer can be downloaded.

Is there some reason to remove this image. Should I waiting for this official
installer version, or rc5 will be the only version available ?
During the final parts of the stretch release process, it became clear
that this image is just too small to be useful. It's missing too many
components for both amd64 and i386, so we decided to drop it I'm
afraid.

We've also seen that amd64 has *way* overtaken i386 in terms of users
such that most people downloading an image will not need i386 support
at all now.

Sorry...

Thank you, for this reply.

I think that dvd multi-arch still a good compromise to install debian on several hosts, without downloading a lot of common packages.
Today I'm trying to install Stretch on HP pavilion x2 (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865490). This computer have only one wifi card which only works with non-free firmware. How to test if it is the origin of freeze ?

It should be easy with a DVD to install minimal desktop without network ;-)

Considering that :
  • "normal" install have 60 - 70 % of packages on DVD (others downloaded or upgraded)
  • only one installer key for all computers in my pocket is better ;-)
  • 4Go support boots on several BIOS.

Why not choose to include only one "prefered" desktop manager on multi-arch DVD to allow full install without network ?

Thx,
Luc.