Re: Checksums Failing

What does this mean? >From what you're seeing, I'd *guess* that it's a 4GiB file size limit
on your computer - where exactly does my computer, running Windows 10 64-bit, have a 4GB size limit?

From: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
To: Jon Domke <jdomke1@yahoo.com>
Cc: "debian-cd@lists.debian.org" <debian-cd@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: Checksums Failing

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 12:05:48AM +0000, Jon Domke wrote:

>I'm concerned because I've downloaded five separate DVD images using
>your BitTorrent links and only one of the five passes the MD5
>checksum verification. I'm on
>http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/i386/bt-dvd/and only
>debian-8.5.0-i386-DVD-1.iso.torrent passes. The other four DVD images
>fail based on the data found in the MD5SUMS file. This is very
>concerning. What should I do? My MD5 software displays what the
>checksum is supposed to be and with those four files its nothing even
>close nor are then numbers found in any of the verification files
>posted. Please help.

Hi Jon,

What size are the files you're getting from bittorrent? It should be
using internal checksums already, so it's very difficult for a
bittorrent download to produce corrupt output without errors.

>From what you're seeing, I'd *guess* that it's a 4GiB file size limit
on your computer - DVD1 is explicitly designed to fit in 4GiB, but the
later ones are bigger...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the