Re: Comments on live-build, vmdebootstrap, bootstrap-vz, and live-wrapper

On 08/22/2016 01:29 PM, Adam Bolte wrote:
> On 22/08/16 18:49, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 08/19/2016 03:02 AM, Adam Bolte wrote:
>>> I continue to use and maintain debian-image-builder (over at
>>> https://github.com/sitepoint/debian-image-builder) which is somewhat
>>> similar in many respects. Also written in Bash (and uses debootstrap),
>>
>> openstack-debian-images uses ISO shell (ie: it's compatible with dash),
>> and doesn't include bashism.
>
> That's fair enough. I've never had that as a goal, and do deliberately
> make use of some of the Bashisms.
>

>>> but easy enough to follow and extend. It primarily targets AWS, but
>>> theoretically supports GCE too (which I haven't used in ages but
>>> nobody reported bugs against) and should be straightforward to support
>>> other targets.
>>
>> Oh, that's nice. I'd love to add AWS & GCE support to
>> openstack-debian-images, so that we have all of our targets covered.
>> Instead of a huge (pointless) debate about features and such, I'd very
>> much prefer if you helped me to do that. Do you have time for it?
>
> I might look over what is required to add AWS support in the near future
> (I don't have a lot of free time right now, but AWS support is what I
> would have the most use for). I do really like that
> openstack-debian-images is packaged for Debian and maintained by a
> Debian developer already. :)
>

>> I just had a quick look. Your tool looks very cleanly written.
>>
>> It is harder to read the script in once since it has lots of small
>> files. I prefer a single flat file with conditionals.
>
> No worries. I feel that the multiple file approach is easier to look at
> at a glance, and get a quick feel for how the application would behave.
> Having said that, I am also really impressed with how you have managed
> to fit so much into such a concise script yet keep it very readable.
>

>> Also, apt-get
>> install during the script is a no-go, and should be replaced by runtime
>> Depends: in a package, but that's easily fixed.
>
> I fully agree with this, particularly since your project is already
> packaged.
>

>> Would you like to help me push this into openstack-debian-images?
>
> Cool. I'll be a bit busy over the next few weeks, but I should have more
> free time after that. Although I've just skimmed the
> openstack-debian-images script again and it might not take as long as I
> had suspected. Then again, the long part is usually all the testing.
>
> If I come up with something that looks good enough to consider (for AWS
> support), I'll let you know. But don't wait up!
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

I believe I could write it myself if:
1/ I had access to an AWS account. Can anyone help in this regard?
2/ Someone just told me what's missing in the current image. Adam, could
you give a quick summary of what's needed?

Since both OpenStack and AWS are using the EC2 metadata server, I'm
convince that it should be possible (and even desirable) for Debian to
ship a single image that would accommodate both. I'm willing to do so.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)