Re: Does Debian use implemented MD5 sums ?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 04:23:32PM +0300, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Today, when remastering Red Hat Linux DVD, I discovered that Red Hat
>uses two very interesting commands when creating a disc ISO image:
>implantisomd5 and checkisomd5
>
>Basically it implants the MD5sum into a secret portion of ISO 9660
>filesystem, after the image is done, but before it is burned or
>distributed.
>And it can be checked when the user boots from said DVD -or- offline
>by manually running "checkisomd5" command.
>
>Does Debian has something similar ?

What we have is:

 * external signed checksums using 4 different algorithms, to allow
   for download verification
 * an internal md5sums.txt file that can be used after boot to check
   the integrity of the individual files inside the installation media
   (to check for issues with writing to optical media, bascially)
 * checksums of all the installable packages, in the Packages files
   etc.

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis