Re: How-to merge repository from 3 BD images into one ?

Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Trying to merge 3 Blue-Ray disc images into one BD XL image, I have
> stumbled upon a problem:
> "debmirror" doesn't seem to support local file system as source. (only
> FTP, HTTP, rsync)
>
> Any ideas what to do ?

rsync has an option --link-dest, which will use a local copy of a file
if it can find it, so you could copy the contents of the Blue-Rays onto
disk, then use rsync with --link-dest to do the mirror, and it'll only
download the missing bits, and will hard-link all the files you already
have.  There's probably a better way, but that ought to work reasonably
efficiently.

You should probably ask yourself why you want to do this though.  Unless
you're planning to go off-grid for a few years I'd expect you to be
better off just using the first Blue-Ray, and ignoring the rest -- the
downloads of the few packages that you'll use from the rest will
probably never add up to the effort/download of assembling it all onto
one disk, and it won't be long before you find yourself downloading more
in security updates than the packages from the subsequent Blue-Rays.

Cheers, Phil.