Re: Failing to boot from CD media

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 21:52:10 +0000 (UTC)
Ronald Dai <ronald_dai@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I went online trying to download Debian. Then I followed some
> instruction to downloaded the debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso. But it
> does not work at all. I copied it to flash and DVD, and it could not
> reboot my machine at all when I restart my machine with the flash or
> DVD on it.
>
> What should I do?

It's not sufficient to simply copy the ISO to the flash. The
installation guide mentions writing it directly to the memory stick,
for more guidance on how to do that, see:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en

i.e. you copy the iso to the *unmounted* device node, not a mounted
directory.

When you remove and reinsert the flash, you should see lots of files,
not just a single ISO file.

Some devices may need extra assistance to boot from flash but you would
need to provide a lot more information about your device for anyone to
be able to help with that.

Please subscribe to the debian-cd mailing list and ask questions there
if you have further issues.

--

Neil Williams