Re: Proposal for new Debian image: Vagrant base box

Hi steve and debian-cd folks

>>> I have been working with the debian-cloud team for some time now
>>> creating "Vanilla" Debian Images for Vagrant, a devops tool.
>>>
>>> Vagrant call these images base boxes, it's basically some kind of
>>> lightly customized Virtualbox OVF with extra meta data information.
>>>
>>> I've documented the details of this here:
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Cloud/VagrantBaseBoxes
>>>
>>> The boxes aka disk images are here:
>>> https://atlas.hashicorp.com/debian/
>>>
>>> Up to now the creation and upload of these boxes has been done from my
>>> workstation, but I'd rather do it with you guys on some Debian
>>> Infrastructure.
>>
>> OK, cool. :-)
>>
>> Hmmm - looking at your wiki page, I just see one problem really:
>>
>> "The build process requires the non-free
>>  virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package, the rest of the build chain
>>  and installed packages are DFSG compliant. "
>>
>> For official images, we won't include non-free components/packages. Is
>> there any way to avoid this?

Just to keep you informed on the topic, I split the images one with only
stuff from main and one with the contrib virtualbox kernel modules.

These images have been quite popular at the momment ( 300 000 downloads
since March ) so I'd be happy to push even more of this in Debian.

Even though everything is still a work in progress, I wanted to ask,
would it be possible at that point to use the debian cd hardware to
build those images ? The current point is that everything is done using
debian infrastructure (git, mailing list, bts ) but I am still building
the images and uploading the resulting 800 MB of data from a home DSL
connection.

This would also allow stuff like continuous integration.

Note that the build processes use packer and virtualbox, and that
requires physical hardware, as Virtualbox do not run nested (boo !) for
64 bits machines.

Unfortunately debian-cloud does not have machine of its own, so I though
it might be good to ask your opinion on this before hunting a sponsor
outside.

Emmanuel