Re: Cloud images with backports APT-enabled.

On 11/28/2015 03:08 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Let's see if something positive emerges from the discussion that
> you started (thanks !) on debian-devel about Stable updates.

After what Ben and Felipe wrote, I'm still not sure what to do to fix
things with the current sysv-rc scripts. Did you understand what needs
to be done?

I'm sure the release team would accept needed corrections to the
existing init script if we do test it enough, and if it makes sense.

On 11/28/2015 03:08 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> The main argument against enabling backports by default is that, when a package
> is not present in the base suite, apt will install it from backports without
> requiring an explicit selection of the backports suite (for instance with the
> -t option).  Thus, a user may install without realising it a package that does
> not have the level of support that we provide for the Stable release.
>
> In the case of cloud images, wouldn't that problem be solved by pinning the
> backports suite at a low priority, and pinning the installed backports
> (cloud-init, etc.) at a higher priority ?

Even with such pinning, the problem you mentioned would remain, no?

> More in general, it seems to me that the best solution to allow enabling
> backports by default would be to change APT's behaviour so that installation of
> new packages from the backports suite always require that the suite is
> explicitely selected.  Does somebody know if this has already been discussed
> somewhere ?

I'd also would like this feature to be added to APT (with a possible
option for it).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)