Re: Dropping CDs entirely?! (was: Stretch Alpha 3 images)

Hi,

And thanks for the feedback.

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> (2015-09-06):
> On 2015-09-03 23:03, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 05:21:17PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > >Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2015-09-03):

> > >I suppose mipsel also fails?
> > >  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/diff/?id=1b92647295e
> > 33ff66a46a5665e7f293d04fd2e19
> >
> > You might think so, but no - the builds all worked for mipsel.
> >
> > >Changelog says:
> > >
> > >But the diff has an extra miniiso removal:
> > > - The following subarchs got removed on mips:
> > >     r4k-ip22 r5k-ip32 sb1-bcm91250a miniiso
>
> The miniiso was only containing boot support for r4k-ip22 which has been
> dropped.
>
> > Right. That means that we'll end up with no bootable options on mips
> > images. CCing debian-mips for guidance there.
> >

> Most of the flavours requires to pass the d-i kernel/initrd to uboot or
> similar bootloader to run d-i. The flavours we dropped were the only one
> with CD-ROM support.
>
> I guess however it still makes sense to continue producing the CD-ROM
> images, but without making them bootable.

Steve, any chance we could do that soonish? Since linux's ABI bump
migrated to testing I chose to reupload d-i with that change, and
reinstate block-udeb * until the release. I've just asked ftpmasters
to dak copy-installer 20150911, which is what we should be using for
d-i Stretch Alpha 3.

> In the long term, we might want to add bootable support for the
> remaining flavours, but I have no idea if they support booting over
> a CD-ROM or USB image. Does someone known if we can do so on a
> Loongson 3 or Octeon machine?

(Leaving that part to mips porters.)

Mraw,
KiBi.