Re: UEFI corner case - installer booted in UEFI mode, existing system in BIOS mode

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:26:20AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 08:48:11AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 02:28:06AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >>      If the user wants to continue, we could even suggest blanking the
> >>      partition table(s) and starting again with GPT, but I don't think
> >>      we currently have a "blank partition table" option exposed within
> >>      d-i?
> >>
> >> What do people think of this plan? What have I missed?
> >
> >Isn't it better to run this test in partman-efi's isinstallable script?
> >Then if things are set up in the described way, grub-efi just won't be
> >installed, but the normal grub will, and the system will continue to
> >boot in BIOS fallback as before.
>
> That was my initial thought, but then someone pointed out: what
> happens to a user who explicitly *wants* to replace their existing
> legacy system with a new UEFI one?

If that is a warning (as opposed to error) message saying something
along the lines of "note that with this setup you won't be able to boot
your current system anymore", then that isn't an actual problem. A user
who is planning to replace a system shouldn't be worried about the
installer warning them that they can't boot the (to be replaced) old
system anymore, and can safely ignore that message.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26