Re: desktop media size

On 16:09, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > Since MATE images don't exist yet, perhaps an LXDE+MATE+XFCE CD-ROM
> > would be sufficient, and saves having to produce yet another image type?
> > On kfreebsd we may not care to have CD-1, 2, 3 etc. any more if we had
> > such a disc (but still having a DVD-1 for the default desktop, of course).
>
> Yeah, it looks like adding MATE to XFCE may only add 70 mb or so of debs.
> That's a good idea!

Ok, good :)

Since I only looked at kfreebsd I didn't calculate sizes of GNOME and
Cinnamon, but I wonder if similarly, if there's enough overlap in their
packages, both could be ensured to fit on DVD-1?  That allows Cinnamon
to be installable offline from one disc, without building a new image
specially for it.

[I've put Cinnamon maintainers in Cc;  does the above seem sensible?]

> For such a [xfce+lxde+mate] CD, it makes sense for debian-cd to pass
> desktop=xfce [...]

Yes, but...

> It might be pretty reasonable to make such a CD be CD #1. Unless it
> would be too confusing to make that CD default to a different desktop
> than the DVDs do.

Right, I wouldn't call it CD #1 because many would expect that to
install the Debian default desktop.  So perhaps clearly name it
"xfce+lxde+mate" or something like "alt-desktops"?

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org