Re: Adding ppc64el support in debian-cd

On 09/22/2014 12:00 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 06:19:43PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
I'm adding support for new architectures at the moment. powerpc is one
of the most awkward existing arches to add boot support for at the
moment, due to the mess of older machines. I'm hoping that ppc64el is
better, but I don't have much information to go on. What should we be
doing to make bootable CD/DVD/USB images for ppc64el, please?

Aurelien and Paulo know more about the bootable status/steps than me.

I believe that w/ the grub2 and klibc uploads from this last weekend,
it's almost there. There's powerpc-utils & util-linux coming in from
DELAYED in 2 days & 5 days.

I thought only power8 machines were able to run ppc64el so far, and
those would be openfirmware I imagine (every other IBM power machine I
have worked with was).

Yes, ppc64el runs on POWER8 onwards with OpenFirmware based firmware.

Thanks!

--
Mauricio Faria de Oliveira
IBM Linux Technology Center