Re: Summary from the d-i / debian-cd BoF at DC14

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 08:23:10PM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>> Debian-CD Plans
>> ===============
>>
>> * Which images do we want to make for Jessie? Currently we have, for
>>   every architecture:
>>   + netinst
>>   + CD set
>>   + alternate versions of CD#1 for each of the desktops (gnome/kde/xfce/lxde)
>>   + DVD
>>   + BD (x86 only)
>[...]
>>   Discussion about trying to make desktops fit on 1 CD. XFCE and LXDE
>>   both fit on 1 CD, Gnome and KDE basically don't fit any more. We
>>   need to work out what to do there.
>>
>>   Should we still build Gnome or KDE CDs at all? Not clear. Let's have
>>   the discussion.
>
>I was wondering if it was possible to build installer images without a
>specific size limit, i.e. include all packages for tasks x, y, z. Doing
>so might result in nice images for GNOME, KDE, XFCE, * that are just as
>large as they have to be.

That's possible, yes. The way to do that right now would be to specify
a (maximum) size to fit inside a DVD, then only pull in a particular
set of tasks and packages and nothing more. That's how the netinst
sizing works, for example.

>> Discussion and questions
>> ========================
>>
>> * Question about the status of signed images.
>>   + All of the official images created and distributed via cdimage.d.o
>>     are signed:
>[...]
>>   + Both of these keys are in the WoT, cross-signed by Steve and a few
>>     other folks.
>
>Are both keys in debian-role-keys.gpg (in the debian-keyring package)?

The main release key is, but not the testing images key yet. Thanks
for reminding me...

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html