Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:09:30PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Wouter wrote:
> >
> >The last time I used the full stack of CDs where there was no decent
> >alternative option was when I was helping a customer prepare a set of
> >installation instructions for a code escrow situation.
> >
> >Since one of the requirements there was the ability to produce a 100%
> >bit-for-bit equal system, anything that used "download the current
> >version from the Internet" was out -- we had to provide actual media
> >(CDs, at the time).

_VERY_ occasionally these days, I've tried to install Debian on an
isolated system - DVDs normally - BluRay dd'ed to a USB stick would be more
useful if a computer can boot from USB.

> >That was over five years ago, though. Today, I doubt I'd still try to
> >use CDs, probably at least DVDs instead.
>
> Yup, that's what I'm thinking too.
>
> >Having said that, I do think that providing a limited number of CD
> >install images is useful for those cases of retrocomputing where
> >installing off DVD is difficult. Other than that...

x86 32 bit / AMD64 netinst as one CD (like the multiarch DVD)

Mac / ARMHF as another "CD" would be useful.

> So... In that situation, would you care about having more than just a
> netinst available for initial booting? Beyond that, people can get on
> the network to a mirror, or to other machines hosting the DVD images.

It's a bit of a nuisance if you need non-free firmware for e.g. WiFi
/ server network cards (curse you Intel and Broadcom ...)

Apropos that, the UEFI booting netinst appears not to be able to
add in firmware read from a USB stick - but I could be being very
stupid here ... :)

> I'm thinking we can cut down some more here. Maybe (as Steven
> suggested) we could keep a single bigger CD image around, but I'm not
> 100% convinced that it's likely to give us enough beyond the netinst
> to make me care about it. What else would we want/need on a CD to make
> it compelling here?

Hope this helps,

AndyC