Re: Installation flash drive problem.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:44:19PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
>Hi,

Hi Philip,

>		I have been playing with usb flash drives as installation media.
>
>The good news is that 64 bit installs nicely with the machine efi turned
>on and a home made 44.5GiB stick also installed.

Cool.

>The bad news is that once rebooted the system did not recognise the stick
>as the installation medium.  If /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00CDMountPoint is
>modified to read
>
>Acquire::cdrom {
>  mount "/media/usb0;
>}
>Dir::Media::MountPath "/media/usb0";
>
>Then the stick will be recognised as the "cdrom".
>But the gui needs to be installed for this to work.

Right.

>Has any one else come accross this problem?  If so do they have a
>solution?  Should a bug report be filed?  It is probably too late for a
>fix for Wheezy.
>However, with the wholesale price of 64GB sticks now being less than $10
>it seems that flash drives will be the installation media of the future.

You have a point, although it's not clear it's worth targeting such
large media for installation sources in most cases. More and more
people seem to be wanting network installations, in my experience.

Anyway, it's probably worth asking on d-boot too about this; CCing
there.

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?