Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:26:13PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Dom 13 May 2012 21:40:10 Marco d'Itri escribió:
> [snip]
> > Does anybody actually know that people routinely try to install desktop
> > systems with only a CD and no networking, and why?
> > What is the use case for this? Cheap DVD readers have been around for
> > over 10 years now.

> Actually, I was going to ask exactly that. To the best of my knowledge,
> CDROM players have been out of stock for a while (more than two years?)
> Normally people will buy a DVDROM player.  Well, at least here in
> Argentina :-/

> Could it be reasonable to drop graphical desktops environments for one-CD
> installs? If you want a GDE, get the DVD. Or two or more CDs.

As a data point, the 12.10 Ubuntu release, which is in about the same time
frame as wheezy, will not include a CD-sized desktop image.  After holding
this line for a long time, it's been decided that we've passed the point of
diminishing returns and that *slowly* allowing an increase in image size
(e.g., 800MB for this cycle instead of 736MB) allows us to define the
default install in terms of what's useful instead of just in terms of what
we can fit on a CD.

So to use the image you need either a DVD or a USB stick, and if you're
using a write-once DVD you're perhaps wasting the unused space; but the
download time and install footprint are still kept low and in the range of
what a CD would give.

Maybe worth considering something similar for Debian.