Re: DVD 1 of squeeze 6.0.1.a not OK?

Hi,

i wrote:
> > i still ponder about the supposed MBR allergy of the Macs.
> > If the allergy theory is right, then that should not mount any more:
> >  dd if=debian-6.0.1a-i386-DVD-1.iso bs=2K count=16 >test_mix.iso
> >  dd if=debian-6.0.1a-sparc-CD-1.iso bs=2K skip=16 >>test_mix.iso

Rui Ribeiro:
> I confirm that I cannot mount test_mix.iso.

This means that none of the differences of the image trees
of genisoimage and xorriso is significant.
It is only about the presence of the isohybrid MBR.

The MBR of the Debian image differs in one aspect from MBRs made by
the Syslinux program isohybrid.pl. The first partition does not start
at block 0 but at HDD block 64 (= 32 kB).
The Debian Live images have MBRs where partition 1 starts at 0.
(Probably created by genisoimage and isohybrid.pl.)

So it would be interesting to see whether they are mountable or not.
The smallest one i can spot is 274 MB:

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-6.0.1-i386-standard.iso

It would be pity if partition offset is indeed to blame.
The feature seems to be help with booting from USB stick on some
machines:
  http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2011-March/016213.html

Have a nice day :)

Thomas