Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 10:39 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:52:25AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >I just checked debian-testing-amd64-i386-powerpc-netinst.iso vs
> >firmware-testing-amd64-i386-powerpc-netinst.iso from
> >http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/squeeze_d-i/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
> >and they have all the same files on them modulo the additional firmware
> >-- did you already fix the problem? or has time been the best cure?
>
> The squeeze image fits for now, but the sid image is the one that
> doesn't.

A size comparison of yesterdays squeeze vs sid images didn't suggest any
packages which have suddenly grown or anything.

      * event-modules-*-di added ~6k per kernel flavour
      * btrfs-modules-*-di added ~200k per kernel flavour
      * partman-btrfs udeb added ~9k per arch
      * dhcp3-client-udeb added ~160k per arch

Overall it looks like + ~0.8M for each arch for quite reasonable
reasons.

> >The firmware image is currently 648M so it's pretty close to the limit.
>
> The sid equivalent would be ~650.5 MB. I can raise the maximum size of
> the image, but I'm reluctant to do that unless there's no other option.

Other than drastic measures like dropping an arch or increasing the
image size I don't see anything. Even if I could I have a feeling it
would just be putting off the inevitable by a few more weeks.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Ozzy Osbourne - Now You See It (Now You Don't)

In 1962, you could buy a pair of SHARKSKIN SLACKS, with a "Continental
Belt," for $10.99!!