Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:52:25AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 11:12 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>> >Awesome, thanks for letting me know!
>>
>> And now things have broken again for the image including firmware. :-(
>
>:-(
>
>I just checked debian-testing-amd64-i386-powerpc-netinst.iso vs
>firmware-testing-amd64-i386-powerpc-netinst.iso from
>http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/squeeze_d-i/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
>and they have all the same files on them modulo the additional firmware
>-- did you already fix the problem? or has time been the best cure?

The squeeze image fits for now, but the sid image is the one that
doesn't.

>The firmware image is only 5M larger than the non-firmware one so if
>firmware one breaks the regular one must be pretty close to the
>precipice too.

Absolutely, yes.

>> Another option is to increase the size of the ISO a little, but we're
>> already very close to the limit of what will fit on a 650 MB CD.
>>
>> I've suggested raising the CD size from 650 to 700 MB in the past and
>> people didn't like it, but that was quite a while ago. I can't find
>> any 650MB CD-R blanks available anywhere these days...
>
>Google shopping finds them if you explicitly ask for 74mins but if you
>are just looking for CD-R then it's 80mins across the board.
>
>The firmware image is currently 648M so it's pretty close to the limit.

The sid equivalent would be ~650.5 MB. I can raise the maximum size of
the image, but I'm reluctant to do that unless there's no other option.

< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"