Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

[ Added cc: to debian-powerpc for help... ]

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:44:15AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 22:46 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>> >Just a crcy idea: Could the plain i386 kernel be droped instead? That
>> >would loose support for i486 and i586 cpus on the m-a CD. But is that
>> >needed there?
>>
>> That's an option, yes. We could strip out the kernels for < 686
>> systems here, but I'd like to keep them on if at all possible to make
>> this image as universally useful as possible. I'd be more convinced to
>> simply drop powerpc instead, like we already did for the multi-arch
>> DVD.
>
>Sounds reasonable to me, but then I'm not a powerpc user...
>
>Does the CD image need powerpc, powerpc-smp and powerpc64 kernels?
>Perhaps one of powerpc and powerpc-smp could be dropped (presuming that
>the smp variant still works on a UP system dropping the UP could well be
>reasonable).

No idea, to be honest. Powerpc folks - thoughts?

>Do you have any idea where perl (not perl-base) comes from? python (not
>python-minimal) doesn't seem to be in the base system but is on the CD
>as well. Similarly nothing seems to pull in binutils or doc-linux-text
>deliberately. (I'm picking on these packages because they are the
>largest components under pool/main/*)

Hmmm. At the very least, debconf needs perl-base. linux-base then
pulls in the main perl package later (via libapt-pkg-perl). As for
python, I'm not seeing that on the current m-a netinst CD. We then
have linux-headers-$foo -> gcc-4.3 -> binutils. I don't see
doc-linux-text in the log either.

(Looking at the log files make_disc_tree.log and sort_deps.i386.log
for this info...)

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html