Re: Multi-arch netinst getting too big

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 21:49 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> >> I probably mentioned this already, but you aren't constrained to a
> >> single initrd.gz: you can use several ones separated by commas.
> >
> > Where can I use several? In a Xen domain config file or in some
> > bootloader config or something? Is it actually supported of does it just
> > happen to work by some coincidence?
>
> Unfortunately not in a Xen domain config, AFAIK.  But isolinux supports
> it, as per syslinux.txt:
>
>         It supports multiple filenames separated by commas.
>         This is mostly useful for initramfs, which can be composed of
>         multiple separate cpio or cpio.gz archives.

OK, Thanks.

> It's actually an overlay, so it may be possible to work around the Xen
> limitation by making the Xen initrd the base one and overwriting its
> arch dependent parts as needed.

Although it probably could be made to work I'm not that keen on making
the regular case more complicated/strange (even if supported by the
bootloader) in order to support Xen and I suspect nobody else is either.
I'd prefer to drop GTK from the Xen images.

Ian.

Ian Campbell

BOFH excuse #169:

broadcast packets on wrong frequency