Re: [RFC] Consequences for official CD/DVD images for Lenny

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Frans Pop wrote:

On Thursday 04 December 2008, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
I have noticed that Ubuntu only advertises CD1 on their download page.
I think it is really sensible: The CD-1 contains Xwindow, so a [new]
user gets a usable desktop... even if he/she face network connectivity
problem.

Actually I think Ubunty advertises a DVD, not a CD. If that is correct
then your argument is invalid. And Debian is not Ubuntu anyway.

I also mirror Ubuntu, and they advertise a single CD per "flavour" or whatever they call it. That is one "desktop" (gnome), one KDE, one server, etc CD image for normal installations. If you want packages outside the default install you have to either have networking or dig around to find the DVDs etc.

/Mattias Wadenstein