Re: [RFC] Consequences for official CD/DVD images for Lenny

On Thursday 04 December 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> In short: installs from CD will offer all desktops but only GNOME is
> installable without the network or other CDs. Do I understand
> correctly?

Not quite.

Installs from CD will _offer_ only the default GNOME: there will be no
option to select another DE in the isolinux menu. However, you can still
(same as is possible now) select a different DE by manually adding a
'desktop=XXX' boot parameter.

I expect that if you would boot with for example 'desktop=kde' and then
don't use a mirror or scan at least 3 or 4 CDs, the "Desktop environment"
option will just not be shown in tasksel as the packages needed for the
task are not available.

That is exactly why I don't want to offer other desktops in the isolinux
menu for CDs: you cannot be sure they will actually be installable.