Re: I Can't download debian—Prakash Thangavelu

Prakash Thangavelu wrote:
> I am Prakash from Chennai, India. I have downloaded first 2 DVD
> images of the stable version of Debian 4. Now I can't continue the
> download. Please help me to download 3rd DVD image. I have spend 4
> days to download the first 2 DVD images. I am downloading the images
> with BitTorrent and I am using uTorrent as my torrent client.

Before spending a lot of time trying to download the third dvd image
it is good to assure you that the third disk is not needed to install
Debian.  Unless you are operating completely offline and unconnected
from the Internet then downloading all of the dvd images are not
needed to install Debian.  Generally only the first disk of either the
CD or DVD install disks is enough to install Debian.  It is generally
preferable to install from the first disk and then to add other
components by installing with a network available.  The latest
available packages will be installed over the network.

The later disks are provided for completeness.  It makes it possible
to install a complete system in an isolated environment that does not
have network access.  It makes it possible to archive a complete set
of software for long term risk abatement.  But for most users this is
not needed nor is it desirable.  For most users installing from the
first disk with a network available for additional components is the
best installation choice.

Bob