Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 10:30:09 schrieb Richard Atterer:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:23:13AM +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 00:29:22 schrieb Richard Atterer:
> > > ?? Not quite sure what you mean. Basically, it uses .jigdo and
> > > .template files as a "recipe" to build an ISO image from downloaded
> > > regular .deb packages.
>
> [...]
>
> > My question was about the essence and quality the "recipes" .template
> > and .jigdo are pointing to: There must be a resource where they take
> > their Debian package files from.
> >
> > My questions once more again:
> >
> > a. Is it one big resource of thousands of single Debian package files
> > .jigdo and .template are pointing to				OR
>
> Yes, that big resource is any Debian package mirror.
>
> > c. If the answer is (a), can we, according to Steve's question, stop
> > hosting all ISO images to reduce traffic?
>
> Yes, we /could/, but...
>
> > If not, where is the technical necessity to keep them for Internet
> > download as long as there are far more better download procedures like
> > jigdo for instance?
>
> People often prefer to use a simple .iso download rather than install and
> learn to use a new software tool, so offering the most popular images as
> .iso downloads makes sense.

In practice this procedure may be appropriate downloading CDROM ISO images.
But downloading DVDROM images that way is too risky IMHO.

If you offer a graphical version of jigdo additionally to jigdo-lite as
command line tool, building up a very long term consisting of mirrorsite +
directory + long file name will be extremely simplified.
So there won't be any effort to learn how to deal with a new tool if the tool
explains itself intuitively.
It's command line typing which is building up the barrier.... :)

Thank you for your answers!

> Cheers,
>
>   Richard

Cheers