Re: jigdo Debian 4.0r2

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 07:25:53PM -0200, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
>S. Pfeffer (lists@worom.net) wrote on 6 January 2008 20:24:
> >sorry if this problem has been already posted here. I just subscribed
> >the list.
> >There ist a Problem with the jido files for the i386 and amd64
> >architecture. In the jigdo file ist the path
> >http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/dists/etch/main/installer-amd64/20070308etch1/images/
> >http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/20070308etch1/images/
> >which does not exist. The path is
> >http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/dists/etch/main/installer-amd64/20070308/images/
> >http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/20070308/images/
> >Ist there a workaround, or will a symlink on the server be created?
>
>You mention 4.0_r2 in the subject and snapshot in the paths. I don't
>understand how a stable release would mention snapshot...
>
>I generated all the images from the jigdo files without problem.

Jigdo supports the concept of a "snapshot" so that you can continue to
download/build older ISO images even when the main archive has been
updated. An example package here is bind9:

  * in 4.0r0 (initial etch release) we shipped bind9_9.3.4-2_i386.deb

  * in 4.0r1 (first point release) we also shipped
    bind9_9.3.4-2_i386.deb

  * in 4.0r2 (latest point release) we shipped an updated version,
    bind9_9.3.4-2etch1_i386.deb, presumably with important fixes.

The release of 4.0_r2 means that the file bind9_9.3.4-2_i386.deb has
been superseded and is no longer in the main Debian archive. Very
shortly afterwards, it will also likely disappear from the
mirrors. That would mean that older jigdo files would stop working. To
make this work, if jigdo does not find files it needs on its
configured mirror then it will fall back to trying the configured
snapshot server for them.

Debian keeps snapshots on a couple of its larger mirrors to serve
these files, one of them being http://us.cdimage.debian.org/ as you
can see in the above message. I forgot to update the snaphost (yet) to
include 4.0r2, hence the errors. I'm doing it now.

I hope that explains things clearly for you... :-)

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?