Re: Jigdo for Debian 2.2 (potato) for PPC

Hi Richard,

Thanks much for the suggestion about the alternate kernel for Sarge.  That's a terrific idea and one which I never would have thought to explore without your help!

Best wishes,

Brian

On Dec 8, 2007 1:38 PM, Richard Atterer <richard@2007.atterer.net> wrote:
Hi Brian,

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 12:49:18PM -0700, Brian Fisk wrote:
> I am trying to see if I can get Debian to run on a Power PC emulator
> (PearPC).  I know that the emulator does not support 2.6 kernels, so I must
> try to find a version with kernel 2.4, which is to say I want Debian
> 2.2potato or eariler.

Phew, that's pretty tough...

Some pointers you may not be aware of:
<http://archive.debian.org/dists/> contains the _packages_ of all old
releases, but no CD images.
< http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/> contains CD images starting
with 3.1r0 (sarge).

I remember that potato was the first version for which I created .jigdo
files, but I don't have them anymore! :-/

One possible approach:
<http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/release-notes/ch-installing.en.html >
seems to suggest that while a 2.6 kernel is used by default on PowerPC for
Debian 3.1, a 2.4 kernel may also be available. There are no details, but I
guess entering some special value at the installer prompt will boot a 2.4
kernel.

Maybe ask on debian-powerpc@lists, some old-time users there may be able to
supply old ISO images, or suggestions on how to get your (or some other)
emulator to work...

Cheers,

 Richard

--
 __   _
 |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
 | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
 ¯ '` ¯