Jigdo (was Re: too many CD ISOs)

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:29:47PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:

>In contrast to bt, jigdo is designed for the case that lots of HTTP/FTP
>servers around the world already hold the data, it just needs to be puzzled
>together in the right way.

/me promises to re-start jigdoofus soon. One of the original ideas
behind that was to allow mirrors to server as bt seeds using jigdo as
a backend. Still needs some more work...

>What's really missing is a GUI, applet, browser extension or similar to
>make the jigdo functionality available to a larger user audience.
>Unfortunately, my jigdo GUI efforts got stuck at the "80% done" level. I
>considered proposing work on it for the Google SoC, but like many things
>these days, it never happened due to me being too busy. :-/

It happens to all of us... :-)

There's also a couple more changes/updates that I'd like to make
in/around jigdo soon-ish:

 * Move over to using bzip2 rather than gzip for our template files.
   That should be simple enough now that all the clients in stable
   will support bzip2, I assume.

 * Start using sha1/256 internally as well as/instead of md5sum, or at
   least for the whole-image checksums. Md5sum is looking weak these
   days.

Thoughts?

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth