Re: too many CD ISOs

Hello Joey,

Am 2007-04-18 01:02:11, schrieb Joey Hess:
> I've been looking around the CD vendors. Ideally, I'd like to buy:
>
> * netinst (in an actual mini-iso form factor)
> * businesscard (in an actual businesscard form factor)
> * multiarch DVD
> * multiarch CD
>
> I have not been able to find any of these for etch. Haven't checked
> _all_ the US vendors yet, but I am not optimistic.
>
> * gnome CD (CD #1), kde CD, and xfce CD
>
> The only way to get this from many vendors is by buying a set of all 23
> CDs for ~$30. (Other vendors offer a 21 CD set that omit the kde and xfce
> CDs.) I don't mind the price, but buying 20 CDs that I will _never_ use
> is not something I can justify. (Things are somewhat better for the DVDs;
> even if I'd never use DVDs 2/3 it's useful archivally.)
>
> IMHO we need to do something to get vendors to default to selling the CDs
> that are useful, and de-emphasise the great big vanity packs that are
> just a waste of plastic for most users.

Do you mean, Vendors should be encouraged to sell singel CD's ondemand?

I was already thinking to do this from the Online-Store of my
new Website but with "Non-Officiel" CD-Images since I know
many peoples which use all the Debian stuff WITHOUT KDE/GNOME.

Leaving out KDE/GNOME will save more then a CD of download...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)