Re: ping on CD

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 23:19 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 23:01, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > So I would like to support the OP's request: Would it be possible to
> > add ping despite the fact that it is not essential? Adding it to
> > busybox would probably only add a couple kB to the installer's size.
>
> This has been discussed about 20 times already. Unless you can give any
> _real_ arguments why ping is essential, I very much doubt this will
> change.

ping is much more than wget. we many-a-times use ping to see if our
gateway or not.

Say, we have to find out if we can say yes or no to the debian security
updates. I can ping and find out if the gw is reachable and then go to
Alt+F1 and say yes to the query. Else I have to say No and then
eventually go to doing this work after the installation has completed.

But yes, Frans, we can always work around these problems. If having ping
will be very difficult then it is fine. This is like a "nice-to-have"
tool in the DVD.

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)