Re: live and install in one CD?

At the risk of repeating myself a normal deb that had a gui/text-ui to
create a preseed file might be the way to go.

This preseed-generator could then be installed in the livecd and could
append the generated preseed to the normal d-i initramfs and use
kexec to bootinto d-i ...

That way we have:

[1] one way to install debian: d-i
[2] a way to install from live-cd
[3] a gui to create preseed files (for free!)

Just a thought
Alex Owen

On 09/01/07, Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> wrote:
Marco Amadori <marco.amadori@gmail.com> writes:

> The ubiquity approach could be surely be faster than d-i/g-i but I do not
> think we want to support a different way of installing debian besides than
> the official one.

Indeed. The d-i/g-i is far better and easier to maintain since it
won't differ too much from the "original" installer ;-)

The problematic thing that I see is it'll differ on the initial steps
of installation since you'll already have the kernel and kernel
modules loaded and it can require some modifications from d-i side to
support it well.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116