Re: 3.1r2 is out but where is the jigdo files

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:53:07AM +0100, Brian Teeman wrote:
> I'm sure I say this everytime there is a new release but why oh why cant
> you, steve, gets a heads up about the release so that you have the chance
> to build the iso and jigdo BEFORE the announcement.

Because the CDs can't be built until the release is final. And if the
release is final, it's showing up on the mirrors. And if it's showing up
on the mirrors, people will be wondering where the announcement is, if
it takes a few days.

Since CDs and DVDs do not matter for upgrading, and for new installs
it's really not a problem to just install r1 first and then upgrade
those few packages that were updated, especially if this period takes
only a few days... I totally fail to see the problem here.

Point releases are nice, but definitely not earth-shocking, and the r1
-> r2 (or whatever point release upgrade) is so increadibly easy
anyway... To answer the original question, Steve knew about the upcoming
release, like any DD could have known, but that doesn't magically make
it possible to master and test the new installation media in time for
the announcement.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar