Problems, caused by apt?

Hi folks,

I realise that Debian GNU/Hurd CDs are on the edge of debian-cd's
capabilities, but I have run into two major problems and one minor which
will probably affect people building custom CDs.

I work with a number of debian-cd versions ranging from 2216 - 2225 taken
from cvs/svn.  I am running testing which is regularly updated and a
2.6.x kernel.

When I attempted to build a K11 Debian GNU/Hurd disc set a few days ago
problems occurred.  This was not cured by switching to debian-cd 2225.

The minor problem.
list and rawlist (in the temp build directory) often had an error message
neatly stored as one word per line.  This was cured by downgrading
debootstrap from 0.3.3 to 0.2.45-02.  However, this did not affect the
major problems.

Major 1.
The local file system.  The only way I could get this to work was to do a
major butcher of .../dists/sid/Release in my local mirror by adding dummy
lines claiming that the local filesystem is part of the Release.  This
was reasonably successful.

Major 2.
../task/Debian_sid was totally ignored.  This is important to me as I try
to get the *hurd-i386.deb's onto the first discs.  I could not find a way
to fix this.

By this time I was working with debian-cd 2225 after trying 2221 which I
knew would work.  Being reluctant to go through the delicate and risky
operation of downgrading apt I installed sarge on another partition.
Then everything worked as I wanted with 2221,  debian-cd 2225 will need
to be hit hard with a hammer for it to do what I want, but this is
normally needed with any new version of debian-cd and has nothing to do
with the above problems.

My supposition is that the problem is with apt.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz