Re: Why the latest netinst image must "choose a mirror of the Debian archive" ?

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 00:22, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 02:45:35PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > And it didn't used to require one.
>
> Oh - is this a bug which will be fixed again, or should I update the
> web page to no longer claim that a basic system can be installed using
> netinst?

The netinst has always been intended for installations _with_ network
access, so nothing fundamental has changed in that respect.

The change that was introduced with Etch beta 2 is that the installation
of additional packages (tasksel), which used to take place after
rebooting, now happens as part of the installation itself before
rebooting.

We are working on fixing the issue that you are currently almost required
to select a mirror, which is an issue for both the netinst _and_ full
CDs. Not using a mirror is possible, but it is not very intuitive.

Not using a mirror with the netinst will leave you with only the base
system, which means you're still missing a lot of standard packages (Joey
even considers a pure netinst broken).
Not using a mirror with a full CD is of course no problem.

The change has made the netinst a somewhat less obvious choice for
installations. As I said, effectively it still does exactly the same as
before Beta 2. It's just the timing that has changed.