Creating debian repository from dvd / cd sets

Good day

After spending some quality time on google looking for a way to transform a debian dvd / cd set into a working repository, I've come to think that I'm perhaps the only person silly enough to want to do so. Whilst I can find a lot on the reverse process (mirror to cd / dvd image), I haven't found what I'm looking for to be able to do the following:

1) Download the full dvd iso's (we have the bandwidth, and I want them for a couple of offline machines)

2) somehow drop the packages to disk, and get apt to use them from disk, for a server where I don't want to shuffle dvd's

3) preferably have the format that they have been dropped to disk as made available as a local repository, for the case where I want to use the files on the local network.

I know you're probably wondering why I bother, when I could just get a minimal disk and do everything from live debian mirrors. Reason 1 is the main one for getting the dvd's, and I don't see the point in re-downloading unchanged packages off the net -- if I can just drop them to disk, that would be great (even better if I can make them into a repository, so I can have one server serving to others which may require debian packages. Also, I could perhaps use this as the beginning of a proper local mirror of the stable tree (that would be a real winner).

Does anyone have some pointers, or some documentation I can start with? I'm not expecting anyone to just solve my problem, but a nudge in the right direction would be fantastic.

Thanks

Dave