D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update

udeb status
===========
Over the last few days all udebs needed in testing for Beta2 have been
migrated; the last few going in today. This will make the situation in
testing suitable for a first upload and build attempt of d-i itself
tomorrow.

For a few udebs new versions have been uploaded that should be included in
Beta2. These will be migrated later, before a second (and hopefully
final) build.

kernel status
=============
2.6.15-4 is now in testing; -5 was a security update; -6 is currently in
unstable and an upload of -7 is expected later this week.
Some architectures have already uploaded kernel udebs for -6, but I expect
we will either stick with -4 or wait for -7.
So when -7 is uploaded, please rebuild kernel udebs ASAP.

testing status
==============
Quite a few blocking issues have been resolved recently by uploads and
migrations to testing. Test installs from the last few days have seen a
few new issues for which solutions are in the pipeline.
Current status is that we need new versions of the following packages
before the release: grub, sysvinit, udev [3] and some d-i components.
For details of issues see [1].

port status
===========
- I'm very glad to say that s/390 is again supported by d-i (2.4 based);
  after parted support was readded, a few other issues were discovered
  but all have been / are being resolved
- alpha seems to have successfully made the switch to 2.6
- hppa is installable again, but due to the d-i daily builds being down
  no test installations have yet been possible [2]
- AFAIK m68k is still uninstallable and several udebs in testing are
  outdated because of build problems

This is the very last chance to switch the default initramfs initrd
generator used during installation for 2.6 based installs:
- i386, amd64, powerpc: these use mkinitramfs-tools by default, yaird
  as alternative (if available, i.e. not for netinst CD)
- alpha: uses initramfs-tools only
- hppa, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, sparc: these use yaird, mostly
  because mkinitramfs-tools was not available at the time the initial
  choice was made

Please make sure that the generator works before requesting a change.

release schedule (plan)
=======================
14-02 First upload of d-i
17-02 If builds successful, request byhand processing => CD builds
18-02 Switch daily images from sid_d-i to sarge_d-i
      Start of testing period
20-02 Testbuild of full CDs
21-02 Migration of remaining udebs, decision re. kernel version
24-02 Final upload of d-i (depends on kernel (udeb) migration)
27-02 Beta2 full CD builds
28-02 Final testing & web site update
01-03 Release

I will post updates if there are important changes in the schedule and in
any case to announce the start of the testing period.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/EtchBeta2Prep
[2] I'm getting an hppa box myself this Wednesday and may use that to
    fill the gap.