No ext2 fs in etch kernels?

Disaster recovery requires some flexibility and space available when booting off a floppy/CD/DVD...
Why aren't the base binary kernels compiled with ext2? (RedHat made a similarly odd decision and did not compile the floppy module)
Since the binaries aren't available at the moment with ext2, is it possible to get the .config used when creating the specific kernel?
That would allow me to create a kernel with identical features to the one I've chosen (2.6.12-1-686-smp) and add ext2.
Thanks in advance,
Larry Irwin
V.P.Development
CCA Medical
Ph: 864-233-2700 ext 225
Fax: 864-271-1755
Cell: 864-525-1322
Email: larryi@ccamedical.com
AIM: mkitwrk
Skype: larry_irwin
WinMsgr: larryi@ccamedical.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.