Re: [Debian-ppc64-devel] problems with debian ppc64 on openpower710

Colin, i removed the device=cd: option from yaboot.conf, since this seems to
break on IBM 64bit boxes, not sure though, i can enable it later again once we
can do some tests, but i would like to get information from you about the
powermac case, since i believe you have more experience in powermac
yaboot.conf files than me. I believe the current stuff also breaks if you are
not using the primary cd drive on powermacs, not entirely sure though.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:33:25AM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>The above CD does not boot so I have Submitted the report with the details
> >
> >Oh well, it should, i fixed it last week :/ Will look at it again.
>
> Hi Sven, *.
> i tested this cd also and find out the following for IBM OpenPower 720
> (POWER5):
>
> 1. Standard ISO file doesn't work. That is already described in the bug
> report #330636

The daily builds should fix the problem as they where built with the option
you claimed was ok : --iso-level 2 --chrp-boot

So, what is the problem now ? Is there some confusion somewhere about this ?

I think this step worked fine for Matthew, since he was able to boot into
yaboot automatically, so i wonder why it still fails for you.

> 2. The file "ppc/bootinfo.txt" has an not-ended "<chrp-boot>" section,
> perhaps this is no problem, but it is not well-formed.

Mmm. Ah, indeed, will fix this, sorry, but as said, this doesn't seem to be
the problem.

> 3. There are two "yaboot.conf" files there, in "/etc" and in "/install".

Both are copies from the same file, since i think IBM boxes don't provide the
full path in their chosen/bootpath, not sure though. Should not be a problem
though.

> If i comment the line "device=cd:" out, the cd seems to boot with
> "boot.msg" for me.

Ah, interesting. I will ask the powermac guys about this. I suppose it is
simply the fact that the cd alias is not installed for you, maybe it is cdrom
or something. Can you give us the devalias output for that box ?

I have fixed the yaboot.conf and boot.msg for the new layout, and will ask for
a sync with the daily build box, and hopefully somewhen this WE the images
should fix that.

> 4. After that, the d-i seems to work.

Cool.

> I hope that can help you finding the correct yaboot settings...

I think it should be ok, i just hope that removing the device=cd: doesn't
break things.

Friendly,

Sven Luther