CD with XFS support for install from external hard drive

Hi.  I hope this is the right place to post this.  Apologies if not.

The problem is as follows: I have an external (USB2/FireWire) hard
drive with an XFS filesystem on it containing a fairly complete Debian
mirror.  Goal is to install a Debian Testing ("Etch") distribution
using that external hard drive and at most one CD, using little or no
network connection.  Installing Sarge and then upgrading to Testing is
acceptable (the hard drive mirror has both).

Generally my solution to this problem has been to use a Knoppix CD and
run debootstrap from that.  That's not exactly a convenient way of
doing things.

Is there a Debian ready-made CD that will let me do this?  Netinst
seems like a good candidate, but I am unable to find the list of
drivers it supports to know whether xfs, ?hci-hcd and so on are among
them (I mean, I can see they're not among the modules included in the
initrd of the CD, but I can't quite remember how the installer works:
does it add more modules later on, does it reboot from a standard
generic kernel on the hard drive, or something like that?)...

Otherwise, how do I create my own Debian installer CD for Etch?  I
tried to follow the instructions in <URL:
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianInstallerBuild > but encountered all
sorts of problems too lengthy to list but the bottom line was I had
the impression the Debian installer builds would only work for
Unstable, not Testing.

So what's the recommended way of reaching my goal?

--
     David A. Madore
    (david.madore@ens.fr,