Re: sarge netinst cd not bootable in ia64

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

david medberry <med@hp.com> writes:

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 08:53 +0200, Jens Krause wrote:
Hallo,

I need your help: I have a Dell PowerEdge 2800 that has an Intel 64 bit
architecture (Xeon)

IA64 is Itanium processor--not Xeon.  You need to be using the amd64
version of debian (which does support the 64 bit Intel processor).

See http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianAMD64Faq and

Q: Is this port only for AMD 64-bit CPUs?

A: No. "amd64" is the name chosen by AMD for their 64-bit architecture.
Before release, it was called "x86_64", and some distributions continue
to use this name. Intel refers to its x86_64 instruction set CPUs as
"EM64T". The architecture is still the same, and Debian amd64 will run
on AMD and Intel x86 processors with 64-bit support. In honor of the
inventing company, AMD, Debian uses the name amd64.

Hmm.. I wonder if we should update that slightly, because the fact that "x86_64" was unsuitable as a debian architecture name was at least as important as any "honouring the inventor"-reason. But then, that was a long debate that I'd rather not relive.

for details.

Maybe it would help if http://cdimage.debian.org/ would actualy
contain links to the amd64 images. People probably search and search
and the only thing they see that even partly matches is ia64.

Would this note be acceptable?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/ia64/

/Mattias Wadenstein