Re: changing CD naming schemes [RFC]

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:36:43AM +0200, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> - netboot/businesscard/netinst are stupid names.

I agree they're not perfect - but then I cannot think of better ones. And
Joey's point is very true; there is lots of documentation out there which
uses these names.

> debian-31r0-$ARCH-binary-$N.jigdo	debian-31r0-$ARCH-binary-$N.iso
> debian-31r0-source-$N.jigdo		debian-31r0-source-$N.iso

Yes, this would be nice!

> And the testing images would be renamed to:
> debian-testing-$ARCH-binary-$N.jigdo	debian-testing-$ARCH-binary-$N.iso
> debian-testing-source-$N.jigdo		debian-testing-source-$N.iso

I guess because of rsync mirroring, we cannot put a date stamp in the name,
right?

> While we are at this... what we currently have at testing is that all the
> templates for the jigdos are put in a subdir, so that people can see the
> .jigdo files better, and this are the files that people tends to
> download, as the templates are autodownloaded by jigdo-lite, in the woody
> archives we have templates and jigdos mixed in the same dir, I personally
> think that having them separate gives clarity, what do others think?

I have another proposal: Install PHP support on the cdimage server. I
volunteer to write a PHP script which generates a listing of .jigdo files
on the fly by scanning through the directories.

The script can just omit the templates, so no need to worry about the exact
directory layout. Additionally, it give people a much better overview of
the available images.

This would also solve an old problem some people seem to have with jigdo:
Even though the program explicitly says to enter the URL of a .jigdo file,
they enter the directory URL, e.g.
"http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/cd/jigdo-area/";

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯