Re: emacs split up

josh wrote:
> Hmmm, it's an interesting theory, but then why should emacsen-common be
> on cd 1? Certainly loads of people with popularity contest don't just
> have emacsen-common installed, and not the rest, eh? :-)

well, I should look before I speak. Just looked up the popularity stats
as per Petter's recommendation and link:

#rank name           inst  vote   old recent no-files (maintainer)
333   emacsen-common 3791  1152  1353   398   888 (Rob Browning)
704   emacs21        2270  1620   456   194     0 (Rob Browning)

seems like a number of people have emacsen-common installed, but don't
need it. Maybe it's cruft that didn't get removed after having
de-installed emacs? Still, there are more votes for emacs21 than for
emacsen-common, so I'm still confused as to why emacsen-common is on
cd1, while emacs21 is on cd3.

It might be better than nothing, but with only approx. 7000
participants, the popularity-contest is probably a poor basis for
deciding which packages go on which cd.

The problem with the popularity contest is that it e-mails it's results
(as far as I know) requiring a working local mail server, and most
people use some web-based pop server for e-mail, and never setup exim or
sendmail. I know that's why I de-installed popularity-contest.

-j

any replies can please bcc me at jbuhl_nospam {at] gmx (dot} de , since
I'm not subscribed.