Re: AMD64 CDs

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:45:18PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>>As for debian-cd: What do you think about adding an option to use
>>different archs for the debs and udebs on a cd? Or including both
>>sets?
>
> I'm happy to see that kind of thing suggested, although I'm a little
> short on time to do it myself right now. What I'd _love_ to do is try
> and create an all-in-one CD or DVD which will boot and install on
> several architectures. AMD64/i386/ppc should definitely be possible,
> and I'm hoping to be able to fit several more. Watch this space...

Amd64 and i386 booth use the same boot code so they are fine.

M68k (amiga) uses icons on the CD and can be added too.

Alpha hacks into the first block on the CD (aboot) and uses milo
otherwise. Not sure if aboot interferes with isolinux, I didn't need
it.

A while back I mixed myself an universal rescue CD for those three
and that came in handy a few times. It's nice to have one for all.

But one doesn't have to restrict oneself to one CD/DVD. If one needs a
full set for multiple archs it could be a good idea to place a
different archs boot code and installer on each CD/DVD, arch:all
packages only once on one CD and arch:<arch> on others. It would mean
you would always have to change the cd/dvd between arch and all but
with ~6G of arch:all packages having them once per arch is wastefull.

MfG
        Goswin