Re: A sugestion to build CD/DVD

On Sunday 24 October 2004 21:03, Guillermo Ballester Valor wrote:
> El Domingo, 24 de Octubre de 2004 12:26, George Danchev escribió:
> > 3) There is nothing to solve here ;-) We have already have all these
> > 'dropped from the debian archive files' on the snapshot.debian.net server
> > ... an the users will need just some files to complete the CD, they will
> > not download everything from that server.
>
> Aaarg!, I didn't know that, (I said in my first mail I'm new in Debian).
>
> Well, so your sugestion about an adversiting note when a file is not found
> have more sense.  Jigdo should say to user the lost files may be in
> snapshot.debian.net pool server. Something like (excuse my English):
>
> "Some of the packages have not been found in the pool likely because they
> have been substituted by newer ones. You may complete the 'iso' file
> restarting jigdo-lite and seting the pool
>
> http://snapshot.snapshot.net/archive/YYYY/MM/DD/debian/
>
> where YYYYMMDD is the build date of jigdo/template files."

Right, something like that, but perhaps not in that order. The suggestion of
using the snapshot sever must be the last one, because some people has
concerns that this host might be hit badly by 'incomplete jigdo users' ;-)
We have already discussed that before ... you may check the archive of
previous month, or the one before that if I remember correctly.

Hm, there must be a (easy?) way to predict the impact on snapshot server, if
there might be any ... Any ideas ?

In cases where the .jigdo/.template file producer maintains a sane pool
directory then jigdo will fallback to downloading the files from there (and
jigdo already has the mechanism), but you can not charge all the producers to
maintain a pool like that, they might have plenty of reasons to refuse
that.... otherwise some thoughtfull hints must be suggested to the poor new
jigdo user (who hates reading docs ;-) to solve its problem with incomplete
CD image file. The worst case will be when everything will fail and then the
snapshot server will save its day, and reduce (or stop) the hate, but
undeserved mail sent to the jigdo authors.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB  2003-03-18  <keyserver.bu.edu ; pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB