Re: A sugestion to build CD/DVD

On Sunday 24 October 2004 11:51, Guillermo Ballester Valor wrote:
> El Domingo, 24 de Octubre de 2004 09:22, George Danchev escribió:
> > Since
> > it is very hard to stipulate (as well as to complete) for all
> > .jidgo/.template producers: 'hey you producers, keep your
> > last_week_purged_packages directory or the like' ,
>
> IMHO, perhaphs is no so hard. We even have to ask nothing to producers. We
> only would need a complete set of isos. Then a cronjob comparing the
> content of isos with the pool. If a package in the pool has been removed
> then we copy the purged file from iso to the 'purged_since_assembled_pool'.
> Other matter is where to upload that pool.

Well, as already has been said:
1) This method is not usefull in all cases. The pool you are describing here,
won't work for all jigdo/template producers. Remember that _anybody_ might
produce such files (e.g. not only Debian offcial CD folks), and all these
producers must maintain their own pools. There might be cases where such
pools might run out of consistency, e.g. containing extra packages, or not
caintaining the needed packages for very old jigdo/template pairs, that the
user wants to build the CD from (the user knows that downloading new pair
will complete a CD, but he wants to construct exactly the _old_ version of
the CD or the CD set having those arbitrary old jigdo/template pairs). This
must be carefully think out.
2) This will require some exrtra space on some debian project host, storing
the pool and the isos. Neither of these is needed to create and deploy
jigdo/template file pairs (e.g. the output of mkisofs might be piped directly
onto jigdo-file to create just the jigdo/template files, no iso will be
stored on that jigdo/template producer's machine)
3) There is nothing to solve here ;-) We have already have all these 'dropped
from the debian archive files' on the snapshot.debian.net server ... an the
users will need just some files to complete the CD, they will not download
everything from that server.

So, the Universal operating system wants universal decisions, e.g. the case
where you have such a pool and the isos, and the case where you don't any of
them. You can't ignore either of them.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB  2003-03-18  <keyserver.bu.edu ; pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB