Re: Trying to create some Debian CD's for a Project

-------------- Original message from Edgardo Vázquez : --------------

> Hi, Im Student of Computer Science in the University of Puerto Rico,

Good.

> and i have a class where i need to install Debian to a computer as one
> of the requirements for the project.

Excellent.

> Here is the problem, i downloaded
> the images of Debian (alpha-binary) all 7 CD's then i used Nero to

Probably more than you need ... but no harm done.

> burn the .ISO to CD's but at the time of booting the computer dont
> boot from CD and try booting from Hard Drive,

I believe - someone will correct me if I'm wrong - but only the
i386 and powerpc boot from the CD ... everything else has to
start from a boot-server "bootd" or "tftpd". But you don't need
another alpha ... you can do it with a pc.

> i try it in my own
> computer and Windows log automatically. Please if everyone can help,

You have go into "setup" and change the boot order so that
CD occurs before ide-0, for example. Then you'll see
Bootable CD - device not found (or some such) before it boots from the
hard drive. (There is no pc boot track on an alpha disk.)

I would think doing this with an arm processor would be more fun
but you probably have a lab full of alphas.
Regards, Gordon