Re: Testing CD/DVD images "Official"?

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:05:11PM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Can images formed from the .jigdo files/templates available here be
> labeled 'official' (assuming MD5 sums match) ie:
>
>   Debian GNU/Linux
>   Testing "Sarge"
>   Official Snapshot
>   alpha Binary-1
>   <date>

Labelling the CDs like that is OK IMO. See
<http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#official> for my attempt at describing what
"official" really means in this context.

Unless anyone objects, I'll add to
<http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#whatlabel> a paragraph on how to label
snapshot CDs:

  In the case of official weekly snapshots, version numbers like "3.0 rev1"
  should not be used to avoid confusion with released Debian versions.
  Instead, label the image with a codename like "sarge" or a distribution
  name like "testing". Also add "snapshot" and the date of the snapshot:

  Debian GNU/Linux "sarge"
  Official Snapshot alpha Binary-2
  2003-12-31

> - The README file in the debian-cd package (found in a general search to
> find README.official file, which is listed in the debain-cd changelog)
> just says to never use "official" on anything I build myself.

...which is correct, but only applies if you use debian-cd to create your
own CD images. If you use jigdo to create the image, you're recreating a
bit-exact copy of the official image, so no problem.

> - The images available in the cdimage-testing directory seem to be
> labeled "official" (at least the first one I checked, which was titled:
> 'Debian GNU/Linux Testing "Sarge" Official Snapshot alpha Binary-1' in
> the README.txt file ).

Yes, they're "official".

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯