Re: Removing unofficial testing images links from CD/

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 05:55:56PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Not talking about stable, only testing. The bits I'm talking about are:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
>   http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

Those pages list two sources of testing CDs, the ones on gluck and the ones
on fsn.hu, so I guess those are the ones you mean.

I'm all for reducing the number of different flavours of CD images - we
seem to be aiming for all combinations of unstable/testing/stable times
full-CD/full-DVD/businesscard-netinst/small-CD-netinst times
official/unofficial, which is way too much to choose from for people who
"just want to download Debian". :-/

However, AIUI the beta 4 installer CD images are only available as "small
CD" images, i.e. you need a network connection on the machine that Debian
is installed on. It'd be a very bad idea to just remove all traces of the
other CD images from the web pages, since a large number of people do not
have access to a fast network when they install.

So, my own opinion is: We cannot just remove the full testing CD images
right now, so let's start producing full debian-installer CD and DVD sets!

I'm not sure how easy it would be for you (debian-installer folks) to
produce .jigdos for these kinds of images, but this seems the most
straightforward solution. Once debian-installer based images are there, the
testing CD images from other sources are no longer needed.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯