Upgrading discover package couses not working CD/DVD drives :(

Hi,

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 11:49:09AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> While preparing a fix for the /media issue in discover1 I thought about
> removing this feature from discover1. IMO there are 2 good reasons to
> do this:
>
> 1) discover (Version 2) does not have this feature, so it will go away
> in the long run.

Or maybe we should add this feature to discover version 2 ?

> 2) I doubt that it is really usefull because it does not add entries
> to the fstab and if you have an external cdrom the device names can change
> if you plug/unplug this device.

This feature is very useful - people have permanent entries in
/etc/fstab and don't worry about physical cdrom location, because
discover 1.x automatically creates symlink /dev/cdromn. I think we
should improve this feature (I mean, that discover should not only
autodetect CD/DVD drives, but also add/remove fstab entries when CD/DVD
drives are added/removed) instead of removing.

> However I don't know if there are some parts of the system that rely
> on discover1 setting up these links. What do others think about it?

It seems you forgot one thing - existing Debian users. I already got
several reports from Debian sarge users - they recently upgraded their
system by runing command apt-get upgrade (so discover package was
upgraded also) and got not working cdroms on their systems :(
Users don't know and don't care how and why the cdrom works (with
discover1 it just works and people doesn't know, that cdrom is autodetected
by discover package), but after upgrading the system it doesn't work.
And they don't even know where the problem is :(

David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:
> I've seriously considered getting rid of it as well, or at least setting
> the debconf priority to low and setting the default be to not having the
> mount points. While it's valuable to have the feature, I think only a
> very small number of people need it.

You are not right - I know lots of people using this feature. discover
package in Debian Woody autodetect CD/DVD drives and automatically
creates /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom0, /dev/cdrom1, etc. symlinks. We should
care about existing users and provide a way to upgrade discover package
without big usability problems and manual user intervention.

--
Good luck,
Mantas Kriaučiūnas <mantas@akl.lt>      Jabber ID: mantas@akl.lt